The Catalytic Foundation acknowledge and appreciate the inspirational work done by Te Whare Pounamu Dunedin Women's Refuge and their volunteers. We are proud to be supporting this organisation with Christmas boxes this year and to with our community grant funding.
Women's Refuge is New Zealand’s largest organisation that supports and helps women and children experiencing family violence. The organisation strives to ensure all women and children in Aotearoa can live free from domestic and family violence.
Te Whare Pounamu Dunedin Women's Refuge in particular are more than just a safe house - they are a pillar of strength to vulnerable families in the Dunedin community. The regional branch provides various solutions under one roof such as:
- Confidential support through a 24 hour crisis line
- Home and community visits including in isolated regions
- 24/7 access to safe houses
- Advocacy when dealing with police, legal, court, WINZ, housing, doctors, immigration, school’s and Oranga Tamariki
- Referrals to counsellors, doctors, lawyers and other support services
- Education and support groups for women and children, as well as providing information and presentations to community groups, schools and workplaces
We at the Catalytic Foundation are glad to know that our grant was used to help the charity obtain essentials like furniture for their safe houses. For women and children with nowhere else to go, the safe house is the closest they have to a home so it's important that it provides some comforts of home, especially during what's sure to be one of the most challenging periods of their lives.
The recent findings from our Covid-19 Community Needs research has found that community charities need our help now more than ever. Please consider a donation or setting up workplace giving so we can get support to where it's needed most.